01621 77 88 44
Mushroom, brown rice and broccoli leaf broth
It’s purple sprouting broccoli season! Many people don’t realise that you can eat the leaves purple sprouting broccoli, which is such a shame as they’re bursting with flavour and nutrients. Chop them into a stir fry, sauté them with olive oil and garlic, add them to a frittata….the options are endless.
This is a great recipe for using broccoli leaves or any other seasonal greens, as well as using up fridge leftovers! It makes for a quick tasty lunch or with the addition of a protein source (see recipe notes) it can be made into a delicious dinner. More often than not, we often find ourselves throwing out left over rice, not knowing what to do with it, which is such pity because with a few extra ingredients you make a super tasty and nutritious meal.
4 spring onions or 1 leek
200g chestnut mushrooms
100g broccoli leaves
250g cooked brown rice
1 garlic clove
1 inch piece of ginger
500ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoon liquid aminos *
1 teaspoon of siracha sauce (optional)*
1. Finely chop spring onion/ leek and add to a pan with a drizzle of oil. Fry until softened.
2. Peel and grate garlic and ginger. Add to spring onions and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
3. Chop mushrooms and add to the pan. Fry until softened, 5-8 minutes. If you find the pan is a little dry add a small amount of the vegetable stock.
4. Add the cooked brown rice to the mix.
5. Add stock, liquid aminos and siracha to the pan.
6. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Finely chop broccoli leaves and add to broth. Cook for a further 5 minutes, until leaves are tender but still have a slight bite.
8. Taste and season with extra liquid aminos if necessary.
- For extra protein add tofu to the broth, simply drain and chop half a block of firm tofu and add to broth at step 5.
- Similarly leftover cooked shredded chicken can be added to the broth at step 5 also.
- Substitute siracha for a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes.
- Substitute soya sauce or tamari sauce, for liquid aminos.
Recipe by Regina of Kitchen Table Baking https://kitchentablebaking.wordpress.com/ Instagram @Kitchentablebaking